Video advertising | 04 min read
Interactive video and the future of mobile video advertising
Gone are the days when static images and linear videos formed the base of all mobile ads.
Recent survey data from The Social Shepherd, shows that 90% of consumers watch videos on their mobile devices. People are after convenience and the ability to consume content with a few taps of their phones. And this means digital marketers need to optimise accordingly.
The rise of apps like TikTok has prompted many other social platforms to upgrade their feeds and prioritise short-form video content. And in turn, this has introduced a new opportunity for interactive video advertising.
This blog will explore why marketers should use interactive mobile video advertising and how you can launch a successful strategy.
What is interactive video advertising?
Interactive video advertising differs from traditional video. Yet a growing number of advertisers are choosing to use interactive mobile ads.
With viewer attention span on social media decreasing year-on-year, interactive ads retain, engage, and convert – which is every digital marketer’s dream.
Viewers can interact directly with the content through interactive videos using forms, links, polls, and more. These new elements help retain a viewer’s attention for longer than traditional video. And by keeping them hooked for an extended period, advertisers can gain deeper impressions and engagement data.
Why should marketers use interactive mobile video advertising?
Pre-pandemic, no one predicted the success of short-form video content.
While increased engagement is an obvious benefit of interactive video ads, there are further advantages to using this format within campaigns:
- Combat banner blindness – Linear video display ads are not performing as they used to. There’s a tendency for audiences to glaze past an ad – especially when viewing on a smaller mobile screen. Creating ads that encourage consumers to create their own narrative through interactivity has much higher conversion rates.
- Increased brand recognition – The more a person enjoys an ad, the higher their ad recall. A recent survey indicated that 88% of marketers say interactive content helps brands differentiate themselves, showing how dynamic ads can have a direct impact on effective brand recall.
- Improve data capture – Introducing interactive elements at specific points allows businesses to acquire data and gain consumer insight. It can also help to deliver a more personalised ad experience.
What are the most popular kinds of interactive ads?
There are several forms of interactive video ads. Here are some of the most popular types used in video marketing campaigns.
- Playable mobile ads – A popular format in iGaming, especially mobile games. Users are shown a preview of the game to entice downloads. Mobile display advertising is a popular ad medium within the iGaming industry, and this interactive ad format is known to perform well.
- Interactive end-card (IEC) – Displayed at the end of interactive mobile video ads, end-cards add a layer of interactivity to encourage users to convert. These typically feature in mobile gaming ads too. If the video ad has a storyline, the IEC may be an opportunity to customise a character within the game.
- Augmented reality (AR) advertising – Today, many popular social platforms offer AR ads. These use a person’s smartphone to transform their environment into immersive and interactive experiences. AR ads are favoured within iGaming, fashion and beauty.
- Virtual reality (VR) advertising – Ads optimised for VR technology can prove highly effective. These allow users to fully immerse themselves in an ad experience. Using these formats, consumers can interact with products, services and more through virtual window-shopping formats.
A recent consumer survey by Tech Jury revealed that half of the gamers in 2022 (54%) would use phones to play games. With such a high proportion of mobile users in this industry, it makes sense that interactive ads are featured most within iGaming campaigns.
How to launch an interactive video advertising strategy on mobile
An effective interactive mobile advertising strategy requires several elements, from an engaging format to effective personalisation.
Here are a few ways to future-proof your interactive video ad strategy:
Focus on relevance – Many marketers want to integrate interactive elements into their mobile ads but fail to establish relevance. If you want to achieve a certain type of lead, it’s important that interactivity convinces the user to convert to the identified lead. Otherwise, ROI and conversion rates will suffer.
Create a direct yet engaging ad experience – Interactive video ads have limited time to make an impact. Keep CTAs clear and ensure they feature early on in an ad. This will encourage viewers to engage without disrupting their viewing experience.
Identify your KPIs – Before branching out into interactive mobile ads, make sure you are clear on your KPIs. Identify exactly how video interactivity will help achieve your goals, and then select the suitable ad format to match these.
Always think mobile-first – Device types must be considered before designing your interactive advertising experience. User experience, functionality and interactivity should all be optimised for mobile devices.
Effective, relevant, and device-friendly video ads will likely be a key part of your future advertising strategy. You can reap even more benefits by including some of the interactive elements we’ve shared above. These include increased conversion rates, improved consumer insight and a more personalised ad experience – particularly within the iGaming sector.
If you want to integrate mobile interactive ads into your marketing mix, contact us to find out more.
Share this article